Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Easter Topiary

Pin It

I bought some plastic Easter eggs at the dollar store the other day and wanted to figure out something fun to do with them.  I came up with this Easter topiary.  My husband said it looks like something from Dr. Seuss ha.  I think it's fun and considering it only cost me a dollar to make - I think it turned out pretty well.

Supplies:
- Plastic Eggs
- Wire hanger
- Basket
- Tissue paper
- Plain paper
- Plastic cup
- Hot glue
- Tacky glue - Elmer's glue would work fine too
- Wire cutters

Here's how you make it:

Just like with my Valentine's Kissing Ball, I made a ball out of plain paper. 
 I cut up some tissue paper into squares - don't worry if they aren't all perfect or the same size
 Take one square and put it on a pencil like the picture below.  Dip the bottom of the paper in glue (I used Tacky glue, but Elmer's would work too).
Before you glue on the tissue paper, make a hole in the ball where your wire will be glued inside.  Use the pencil to press the paper onto your ball. Put the pieces of tissue paper close together so there aren't any gaps. 
 The plastic eggs came with two holes - one at the top and one at the bottom, which are the perfect size for a wire hanger to be "threaded" through.  I used wire cutters to cut up a hanger.  I then hot glued the wire hanger inside of my topiary.
 Lastly, I used a small plastic cup - since that's what I had lying around for the base of my topiary.  I hot glued the last egg to the bottom of the cup.  I put the topiary inside an Easter basket and used white tissue paper to fill the basket - I think some of that fake grass would be cute in the basket, I just didn't have any at the time.  Here is the finished product:

3 comments:

  1. It looks like something out of a Dr. Seuss book. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is as cute as a button!! Darling. Thanks for sharing.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just out looking for an Easter topiary and found your blog! We would love to have you share this at our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". Very cute idea!
    Sixsistersstuff.com
    -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete